Tuesday, February 07, 2006

This is the time that I get mushy and all..

I wish You Enough

Recently i overheard a mother and daughter during their last moments together at the airport.They hugged as they stood near the departure gate , and the mother said, "I love you and I wish you enough."

The daughter replied," Mum , our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I have ever needed.I wish you enough , too."

They kissed and the daughter left. The mother walked over to the window where I was seated.I could see that she wanted, and needed to cry .

I tried not to intrude on her privacy, but she turned to me and asked"Have you ever said goodbye to someone knowing that it would be forever?"

"Yes , I have." I replied"Forgive me for asking , but why is this a forever goodbye?"

"I am old and she lives so far away. I have challengs ahead and the reality is..her next trip back will be for my funeral."

"When your daughter left, I heard you say ' I wish you enough', what did you mean?"
The woman smiled.


"That's a wish that has been handed down through generations in our family.My parents used to say it to everyone."

She paused and looked up, as if trying to remember the details. The she smiled again."When we say ' I wish you enough' , we want the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them."

Slowly, she turned towards me and shared the following, as if reciting from memory :

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joy in life appear much bigger
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess
I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final goodbye

When the woman finished, she began to cry . Then she walked away.

p/s: just wanted to wish you people enough for the coming year.. memandangkan kita baru masuk bulan Muharram, tak main le Kalendar Gregory.. haha

No comments :